WHAT IS CLIMATE CHANGE?
Climate change is a global challenge that has no borders and to combat it requires coordinated work by all countries.
CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF CLIMATE CHANGE
The main cause of climate change is global warming, which has many negative consequences on physical, biological and human systems, as well as other effects.
CAUSES OF CLIMATE CHANGE
Global warming is caused by the greenhouse effect, a natural process by which the atmosphere retains some of the Sun’s heat, allowing the Earth to maintain the necessary conditions to host life. Without the greenhouse effect, the average temperature of the planet would be -18ºC.
The problem is that daily human activities maximize the greenhouse effect, causing the planet’s temperature to increase even more.
CONSEQUENCES OF CLIMATE CHANGE
The global temperature increase brings disastrous consequences, endangering the survival of the Earth’s flora and fauna, including human beings. The worst climate change impacts include the melting of the ice mass at the poles, which in turn causes rising sea level, producing flooding and threatening coastal environments through which small island states risk disappearing entirely.
Climate change also increases the appearance of more violent weather phenomena, drought, fires, the death of animal and plant species, flooding from rivers and lakes, the creation of climate refugees and destruction of the food chain and economic resources, especially in developing countries.
- Global warming
- Climate change
- Greenhouse effect
- Wind/solar energy
- Energy source
- Acid rain
LOOK AT THESE VIDEOS:
Look at this website:
- What do you think about recycling?
- Do you normally use public transport?
- Do you limit the amount of water you use?
- What causes pollution?
- What do you do to help the environment?
- What the positive and negative aspects of Industrial areas?
- What is the most important environmental issue which needs to be tackled?
- How eco-friendly is your home?
- What does your school do to encourage eco-friendly behavior?
- Whose responsibility is to protect the envioronment?
Decide whether these statements are true or false.
- Tony isn’t at work because he is ill.
- Harry has cycled into the café.
- Harry plays football every day.
- Johnny drives everywhere.
- Magda thinks public transport in London is good.
- Olivia is concerned about the planet.
- Carlos is not very busy.
Mind map about Environment.
Use one of these tools to do a mind map with the main and most important information about Environment.